Monday, December 17, 2007

Have Yourself A Gorey Little Christmas!


Anyone who knows me at all well will also know that I adore Edward Gorey. Until last night I thought it possible that I had seen every Gorey illustration there was to see. But lo and behold, I was ever so wrong.

My roommate S. helped me ring in the holiday season with a lovely little book entitled, "The Twelve Terrors of Christmas," written by John Updike and illustrated by my dear Mr. Gorey. This slender volume is a crisp narrative on all the nightmarish fiends lurking behind the glossy holiday facade; such evils as "Santa: The Man" and "Santa:The Concept." The pen and ink drawings are classic Gorey and I may even have a new entry in my top ten with the print for "O Tannenbaum," (you can hear it slurping water from the bucket at night!)

This book has just been reprinted for the holiday 2007 season, so for all of you with a slightly darker sense of humor be sure to add this to your annual christmas reading list.


1 comment:

Sarah said...

I have a Gorey tattoooooooo