Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Happy Acquisitions

I still have not recieved my wish regarding springtime in NYC. It is still cold and gray and in general a bit yicky. But yesterday I may have discovered a cure. In order to make it through until spring I have to find new ways to make unenjoyable weather enjoyable. And what better way to do that than to make believe I'm in my dream city of the moment... Paris, where I would still be happy even if it was rainy and overcast.

Thus far three little things have helped me accomplish this...

On Sunday afternoon after having tea at Alice's Tea Cup with two of my lovely ladies, we walked around and did a bit of shopping. I wasn't really looking for anything when suddenly I was called from across the room by a truly lovely jersey tunic, with a neckline decorated in flat stitched chiffon rosettes. I tried it on and became convinced that if it beonged to me then dreams would become reality and The Sartorialist would want to take my picture. It was $20. How could I not?

Yesterday I was reading Rita's blog over at Domino Magazine and my curisoity was piqued by one of the books she had displayed in her current post. It is called "True Pleasures; a memoir of women in Paris." Looked good to me, but to my dismay it was hard to come by for some reason. In the end I had to call Barnes and Noble in Union Square and have it put on hold for me. It was possibly the only copy of the book in the city. And now it is mine. (As well as basically free thanks to some leftover balance I had on an old giftcard!)




When I arrived at Union Square I noticed there were actually a few stalls from the farmers market that hadn't closed yet, and soon an irresistible scent began to waft towards me. Now anyone who has ever tasted anything from Red Jacket Orchards probably knows just what a treat this was, and due to the chilliness of the day yesterday the guys from the orchard were cooking up fresh apple cider just inside their stall. I promised myself a cup on my way back to the subway. It did not dissappoint. Hot and almost creamy, with soft chunks of apple still floating in the brew, it has to be one of the best treats you can buy for $1.50. Thanks to that apple cider I fulfilled my goal of enjoying the gray day. Who wants hot cider when it's sunny? Not this girl.

No comments: