Friday, April 11, 2008

A Very Delicate Thing...(and a little surprise!)


When I was a teenager I was one of those kids. The kids who loved to make mix tapes. I still have a whole box hanging out somewhere in my parents house, full of treasures such as "Alterna-mix '96" and "Emily's Jazz Licks." The great thing is, I can still listen to these tapes today. I still love each and every song. Of course, with the advent of CD burners I graduated to a new format, but I have to say I do miss the tactile quality involved in good old fashioned cassette mixing.

John Cusack really does sum it all up in the movie "High Fidelity" when he says,

"Now, the making of a good compilation tape is a very subtle art. Many do's and don'ts. First of all you're using someone else's poetry to express how you feel. This is a delicate thing."

I, myself, have issues with repeating songs; in that I refuse to do it. If I make a mix inspired by someone in my life, then no songs on said mix will ever grace the line-up on any other persons mix. This can create problems, but then it's probably also a big part of why I spend so much time searching for new music. I also insist on a perfect line-up. I'm not one to just pick songs and throw them on a CD, I'm a little too obsessive for that. I carefully screen each and every transition for flow and make sure the tempos and moods of each piece slide smoothly from one to the next.


A big highlight for me the past few years has been the creation of a yearly Holiday mix for my friends and family. I love to mix new and old as well as a broad spectrum of religions. What can I say, I want to please everyone. It's always a hit, and I love searching out new and interesting songs in such a limited field. 2008 will be year number four for this new tradition and I think I'm up to the challenge.

Now, as I'm sure you all know, I've been pretty anxious for spring this year, so I've decided to treat you all to a little Spring mix. I hope you enjoy, and I hope you can find most of these tunes fairly easily. So without further ado...



"Back Comes Spring..."

1. Isn't This A Lovely Day by Diana Krall
2. Snow Is Gone by Josh Ritter
3. Trouble Sleeping by Corinne Bailey Rae
4. Other Girls by Tigercity
5. The Motion Waltz by Rufus Wainwright
6. City of Blinding Lights by U2
7. April in Paris by Billie Holiday
8. People's Parties by Joni Mitchell
9. Love Me Tender by Norah Jones
10. South America by Shout Out Louds
11. Tres Tres Chic by Mocean Workers
12.(There Is) No Greater Love by Amy Winehouse
13. Via Con Me by Paolo Conte
14. I Thought I Saw Your Face Today by She & Him
15. Lettre A P... by Paris Combo
16. Like Someone In Love by Björk
17. Inside Of Love by Nada Surf
18. Dreamsome by Shelby Lynne
19. I Found Love by Styrofoam & Sarah Shannon
20. Queen of the Surface Streets by DeVotchKa
21. Just Like A Woman by Charlotte Gainsbourg & Calexico
22. Love Will Come Through by Travis
23. With Arms Outstretched by Rilo Kiley


Happy Spring Everyone!

**I'm having some issues formatting the list so that it's more readable. Any thoughts?**




No comments: